Korean BBQ is practically on every block in K-town, so I knew I wouldn’t be able to escape it forever. I was finally worn down by a neighborhood friend to try out a restaurant close to my home(it’s located on 6th St. between Serrano and Hobart). I almost didn’t make it because of the picture of a pig on the front of the restaurant and Kimchi(yuck), that almost completely wiped my appetite. My strong stomach held on which was good because it was not only a good meal, but an out of this country experience, say maybe like Korea.
We had to wait a bit for a seat so I was able to go shopping a bit. There is a boutique next door, the clothes are a rockin, but the sizes, well, not so much for me. They may have fit me when I was like 13 years old, but like most other clothing places in K-town, they are designed to be worn by the petitist of petite, but I digress.
The appetizers that had turned me off to Korean food appeared on the table and though my friend enjoyed them, I couldn’t bring myself to it, but ended up finding other app’s that I loved. The food is cooked in a large skillet thingy at the center of the table, which was cool until I didn’t want to wait for the food to finish cooking because the exotic aroma's kept luring me in. I could tell that Korean food is an acquired taste, and by the end of the meal I was reconsidering my hater attitude towards this cuisine as it turned out pretty well.
Next up is El Cholo. Koreatown hosts one of the best Mexican food places in town. Just goes to show how quickly towns turn around, next it’ll be Germanytown, or G-town for the hipsters.El Cholo has been around for awhile, as you will see from the autographed pictures of all the stars. They even have a bronzing of their first utensils, and maybe their millionth tortilla. Kitschy, but not as much as El Coyote, and with way better food.
I have heard they have the best Margarita’s, my cousin loves ‘em, but they’re famous for their green corn tamales. They are so dang good I want to go over and get some now, but I have to wait till May. They serve them only in May through October, and host a big party to welcome them back. They are worth two parties in my opinion.
The quacamole is awesome, but the chips, uhhh not so much. I have almost brought in my own. I am not sure if it is my embarrassement or lack of planning that has prevented me from doing so. Prices are reasonable, and all the meals I have eaten there are great. The portions are large so you could easily split a meal if you are a lighter eater, especially if you order some quac. as an app. A great date place, in fact my Aunt had her reception there, or to take out-of-towners, which I do anytime someone asks for Mexican food.
A quick blurb about the couple of Paris Baguette’s that can be found around K-town. I loved this place. The baked items are great and include a mix of both Korean and French bakery items. I am a bit selective about baked goods having worked in a bakery for a few years, and this place meets my standard. However, the coffee, forget it, unless you like the watered down stuff typical of Asian coffee’s.

Pho 2000! Sounds like a sci-fi flick, but as you probably already know Pho is just a type of Vietnamese noodle, but where did they get the 2000 from?!?! There are a few other Pho places with a couple millennium following the name. But the Pho 2000 on Western between Beverly and 2nd St. in a little shopping mart is great.
My friend ordered 1 order of Pho soup and a beef dish, both were great. To get the full effect you must put in all the extra’s that come with the dish. It is also better to get take out as the climate is not very appetizing.
Last but not least is Piper’s Restaurant. It’s been around since 1964, practically historical in Los Angeles, and my grandparents used to take me there when I was a kid. They used to have an old medieval theme and a big tin knight that guarded a treasure chest that a child could open if they were to finish there meal. There never needed to be bribery for me to eat all my food, so I always looked forward to the end of the meal when I got to pick my toy. Those were the days
It has changed quiet a bit, but it still serves American food, at great prices, 24 hours a day. Need I say more. Well one more thing, I have heard a couple of cops tell me that it is a cop hang out, so if you want to go there after a night of partying make sure to leave all the contraband elsewhere…


No comments:
Post a Comment