Friday, March 21, 2008

Easter Island



Well since the Farmer’s Market is possibly no longer part of our little Koreatown community I decided to highlight one really great place that is. The Mermaid café! In fact, it’s so good and so rare for the area because they serve something that is tremendously unusual to Koreatown. You usually have to leave the area to find it. I have suffered many Saturday and Sunday mornings without this one kind of cuisine that is almost impossible to find in this metropolitan melting pot, breakfast! It was such a great thing for me to discover that there was a place to go besides Denny’s, IHOP or Starbucks when nursing a bad one. I usually don’t go out for breakfast during the week because I have to get up before the crack but I am always looking for a good breakfast in Koreatown and it’s been a disheartening search. Although Piper’s has that great hall like experience going for it and what self respecting Native Angelino doesn’t love Piper’s (K-Towner for now wrote a great review of it) the Mermaid Café is a low key and quaint Frenchy sort of a place that serves Omelets, French Toast, Pancakes, Breakfast Sandwiches and Burritos, Potatoes with two eggs and sausage, bacon or ham, sorry no veggie or chicken sausage but this is pretty damn good. One other awesome thing, if you are lucky enough to in a live 2 blks radius they have free delivery with order’s over $5. The Mermaid also has lunch, sandwiches, soups, salads (with salmon), teriyaki bowls etc. Did I fail to mention that the Mermaid Café is located at the ground level of the famed Gaylord apartment building? I found out today that Slick Dick (Nixon) stayed there at one time. Wow! What history our Grand Mid-Wilshire Center Koreatown area has! Mermaid is open M-F from 6:30-7:30, S 7-7:30 and Sun 8-2:00.

No comments: